Acne, premature aging, hyperpigmentation and sun damage, are all some of the things we can get insecure about. However, there are ways we can prevent or minimize these skin issues. When it comes to skin insecurities, it can be hard to figure out just where to start. Preventative skin care should be plan A on your journey to beautiful healthy skin.
Acne appears when the skin’s oil glands are overly active. As a result, the pores become inflamed. Most acne cases are triggered by either a hormone known as androgen, genetics, or bacteria on the surface, so there is no absolute certain way prevent it but there are many ways to reduce the severity. Here are a few:
- Wash the face with an antibacterial, noncomedogenic face wash that works well for your skin type (Oily, dry, combination etc.). Our Acne Deep Pore Cleansing Wash is an anti-blemish, anti-bacterial, noncomedogenic cleanser that is effective and gentle enough to use everyday.
- Moisturize the skin. It might seem counter-intuitive to moisturize when we often hear that acne needs to be dried out. However, the key is to make sure your moisturizer doesn’t include oil, synthetic-fragrances, or irritating ingredients. Look for moisturizers with ingredients like Salicylic Acid, Tea Tree oil, or Aloe Vera. Our Acne Rebalancing Cream includes many of those natural ingredients.
- Be conscious of what you consume. You are what you eat (and drink). Consume less high glycemic foods and beverages (aka junk foods). And remember to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
Aging is completely natural. While we cannot stop time, we can influence the aging that affects the skin. Here are some preventative actions you could take:
- Apply products gently. Whether it be lathering a cleanser or applying a serum or moisturizer, the motion in which it applies matters. Gravity works 24/7 to drag the skin down so always wash or moisturize the skin in an upward motion.
- Moisture is key. Moisturizers and hydrators trap water in our skin which gives it a more youthful appearance. Our Anti-Wrinkle Skincare Set includes gentle ingredients that hydrate and repair at every step in your skincare regimen. This dermatologist recommended set is equipped with products that reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles that reveal supple, youthful skin.
- One word…Collagen. The reason skin loses elasticity over time is because collagen production slows down as we age. This means it is beneficial and/ or necessary to incorporate this protein through our diets or topically. Our Advanced Peptides And Collagen Moisturizer is infused with plant-derived collagen and peptides that support dermis collagen production.
Hyperpigmentation, Dark Spots, and Sun Damage
Hyperpigmentation or dark spots are typically a result of melanocyte cells overproducing pigment (melanin) in the epidermis layer of the skin. Here are some of the many reasons overproduction of melanin occurs and how to prevent them:
- Sun Damage and Sunscreen. The sun stimulates excessive melanin production, so using sun protection is the best way to prevent any damage from the sun. A sunscreen with SPF 30+ should be worn daily and reapplied every 2 hours for the best results. Try our Scar Cream Sun Protectant SPF 35, it was formulated for this exact purpose!
- Don’t pick at your skin. I know it can be tempting, but your skin will thank you later. Instead, if you have a bite or a pimple apply a Band-Aid, hydrocolloid patch, or Sulfur Spot Treatment to cover or slowly dry out the area.
- Choose products with brightening ingredients. Next time you shop look for ingredients like Vitamin C, Allicin, Kojic Acid, Lactic Acid, Glycolic Acids, Retinol, and Allantoin. Many of these ingredients can be found in our ScarGel, Vitamin C Serum, and Ferulic Acid Resurfacing Pads.