It’s time to part ways with skin products that can do more harm than good.
In keeping with the annual rite of spring cleaning, we should all take a good look at our entire skin care collection and see what products have overstayed their welcome. Okay, take deep breaths! We know that the idea of saying goodbye to some of your beauty faves is not going to be an easy task. But knowing about the types of products to keep and which ones to toss will make a huge impact on your skin care regimen (and life). In order to clean up the clutter in your beauty space this season, we’ve come up with these five ways to spring clean your skin care routine.
- Beautiful empties – The first way is also the simplest one. Any product that is almost gone should not be collecting dust. Yes, even the ones with super cute packaging (you can always get more). But if you really want to keep the memory of these products, then take a “beautiful empties” photo of them to post on social media.
- Check for expiration dates – Just like with food in the pantry and fridge, and other perishable items around your house, you must discard products that have expired. But before you start tossing every bottle and jar in the trash, check with your favorite beauty brands to see if any of them accept old containers for recycling. You’ll feel extra great knowing that your spring cleaning is also helping the environment.
- Check the ingredients – Now that you’ve gotten rid of products that have expired, now’s the time to check for harmful ingredients in your skin care. You need to watch out for parabens (a preservative commonly found in cosmetic products), phthalates, sulfates, and formaldehyde, among others. It seems silly to know (or sometimes even spell) these toxic ingredients right off the bat, but knowing which products are all-natural versus loaded with harmful chemicals will make you a much savvier skin care shopper.
- Check for symbols – If going through every ingredients list on your beauty products is too much, there is a much simpler way to get information right off the bat. DERMA E’s packaging features natural symbols that are easy to understand. All our products have the stamp of eco-ethical goodness that includes the symbols for Cruelty-Free, GMO Free, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Recyclable, and Wind Energy certified.
- Know your needs – Spring cleaning your skin care doesn’t just mean getting rid of stuff for the sake of making space. It’s also an opportunity to get reacquainted with your skin’s needs. Keep the products that work best with your complexion. You might have two kinds of moisturizers, but for different times of the day. That’s okay as long as everything you keep is keeping your skin healthy, nourished, and protected.
We hope that you use this handy guide for your skin care spring cleaning. Tell us in the comments below how you sort through you beauty products!